Saturday, February 9, 2013

Strike Three

In the mail yesterday, I received a turtle that now sits on my desk and watches me work.  He doesn’t have a name yet, but I am open to suggestions. 

I left work yesterday around 430 in the afternoon.  When I entered my room, I noticed my new roommate buried under her sleeping bag and decided to take a quick nap.  I was extremely tired from starting my new shift and having to deal with our replacement visitors.  I woke up 30 minutes later when my new roommate turned on all the big lights.  “Maybe she doesn’t know I am in here,” I thought, but that thought went out the window when she answered her phone and informed the person on the other end that her roommate was here and she could not speak at the moment.  For the next twenty minutes or so she was in and out of the room claiming she was going to the gym but returning for forgotten items randomly.  The lights were kept on for all of this, so I decided my nap was over and started playing on my iPad.  On her last trip back to the room, she finally turned off the lights.  I rolled my eyes and strolled lazily to the door to turn the lights back on. 
My new roommate has a new habit of spending the night in our headquarters building and sleeping all day in the room.  She calls it work, but she is attending college and has no real job.  Later in the evening, she was preparing herself for her evening of voluntary insomnia.  My other roommate mentions that she has actual work for her to complete and that she needs to report to work during the day.  Our new roommate replies that she is on her way to “work,” what did she need?  My other roommate said, “Oh no, I need to explain it to you, it deals with patient safety.  Oh, and who are you walking with since it is after dark?”  This is something my roommate and I have been hounding our other roommate about, walking around alone after dark.  I am glad it finally sank into her head.  Our new roommate replies that she is going to call a friend to walk with her.  We all know she is lying.  Strike one.  As our other roommate leaves the room for the restroom, she turns the lights off instructing our new roommate that she is turning off the lights because two of us were trying to sleep.  The new roommate says ok, waits for our other roommate to leave and switches the lights back on.  Strike two. 
My roommate is aggressively searching for an additional room away from this woman who lacks the moral decency to request an additional minute with the lights on, the honesty to say she is walking alone, and the ability to think of anyone besides herself. 
The new CPT and I are keeping each other entertained.  He joins me for lunch and he is waiting for the rumors to start since he is a 46 year old, happily married man.  It is nice having someone in the office to talk to when I have some down time.  His desk faces mine and he just received his computers today.  He was introduced to ball attack today.  This is the game the office plays that involves everyone throwing bouncy balls at everyone else.  To top things off, we have civilians in our office today working on the medical computers. 
Our boss got our NCO’s good today though, I do have to give him credit.  From his office he announced that there was a bouncy ball in his doorway.  Two NCO’s and the LT ran to his doorway to see what he wanted (as usual) and he hosed them down with silly string.  I guess it paid off not to kiss ass today, because I was the only one in the office not covered in silly string.

No comments:

Post a Comment