Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Officer Huddle

It was freezing cold outside for PT this morning!  Yes, there was frost on the ground that can verify my statement.  We started our warm-ups and my back was not cooperating so I started calling people out and making fun of PT.  Very adult-like, I know, but no one wanted to be there and it turned out to be a great way to lighten the mood.  Soldiers started joining in and soon there was innocent laughter sprouting throughout the ranks.  A miserable PT session was now enjoyable.

After PT was the usual shower, change, and grab breakfast with my roommate while gossiping along the way.  Today’s topic was our new roommate.  My roommate turned the heat on in the room yesterday and then hid the remote amongst my things so no one could turn the air conditioner on while we were gone.  The room felt fantastic last night and I was about to drift off like a baby when the new roommate and our other roommate arrived.  They knew I was sleeping, or trying to because they walked in the room and immediately began to whisper.  Then the new roommate turned on the big lights.  I about lost it 45 minutes later when the big lights were still on and she said she didn’t need them when I asked if we could turn them off.  I had to leave the room I was so upset at her inconsideration. 
Work has been interesting today.  Our replacements were once again in the office when I arrived, but immediately left to take a “windshield tour” of Kandahar.  In other words, the group was going to drive around Kandahar Airfield to become familiar with the post, but without getting out of the vehicle.  They did however make a stop at the junk yard to dig around for a bit with their new pals.
The Personnel Officer that is a part of the replacement crew keeps stopping by to talk with me.  He is stationed at West Point, but did not attend West Point.  This makes me wonder why he is hanging out in my office and not in the Personnel Office.  The Computer Tech replacement is a West Point grad, so he hangs out near my desk, but that is understandable, we have a common history and he was a senior when I was a freshman so we know some of the same people.  Upon chatting with these two gentlemen, I learned that the Personnel Officer is friends with my Branch Manager, a light turns on above my head and I turn on my natural charm.  Let me remind you that my Branch Manager, who is in charge of where I am stationed next, has been giving me a rather cold shoulder lately while I have been witnessing other Soldiers receiving orders for their next assignment.  The replacement Personnel Officer agrees to help me out and I agree to stop bad-mouthing his friend.  I have a new hope rising in me that I will live where I want to live by 2014.   While we were chatting and having a good time, I may have agreed to stay an additional nine months as their Battle Captain.  It was all in good fun, but I seriously would not mind staying longer than the standard nine months.  Life is so much simpler here, even with all the frustrations of roommates and weather.
No, Mom, my deployment is not going to get extended. 

1 comment:

  1. EVEN I breathed a sigh of relief that you are not going to get extended. Did you ever think that maybe thay guy is hanging out bc you are a nice person to hang out w? or does everyone have another motive?

    ReplyDelete