Sunday, February 3, 2013

Army Politics

I knocked out quick last night.  With the sound of rain hitting the metal roof of the MOD, I was quickly serenaded to sleep.  My roommates who forgot I was in the room didn’t even keep me awake with their loud chattering.  I decided to take the early shift today, so I was awake by 5am and on my way to work by 545am.  A small team of our replacements are arriving today as a recon group to scope out what they are getting into before they have to take over in 130 days.  They will be here for a week or so before heading home to tell the rest of their unit what it is like over here.  I sit here alone because the rest of the office is waiting for the group at the airport.  Considering we just heard a warning about a thunderstorm six miles away, I think their flight may be delayed for a bit.  I don’t mind, there is something peaceful about sitting in a big office alone.

It is storming pretty good outside right now.  The rain is dropping in buckets and every now and again there is a gentle boom of thunder.  There is no doubt in my mind that Lake Kandahar will return today, which is sad because it just dried up about a week ago.   I hear that it is snowing up in Bagram.  The snow makes everything look better.  Take a city dump and cover it in snow, I’ll bet you anything it looks better with snow on it.
I am reading a new book called “The Operators,” by Michael Hastings.  It is a very interesting read and demonstrates how political the Army is using real events.  A great General is one who publicizes everything he is doing and allows the media to lead the people to believe that no one has ever thought of such wonderful policies or practices before him.  Great Generals are ones with friends at the top, or at least have yet to piss off the higher ranking Generals.  The politics behind promotions and forced retirements is revealed in an unbiased manner.  The sad part is that I see these politics on a daily basis.
Our Chaplain was just looked over for promotion for his final time.  He is being forced to retire as a part of the mandatory reductions in force.  He has served his quota of time for his rank as a Captain.  It is a sad day for the Army.  I can honestly say he was the best Army Chaplain I have ever had the honor of serving with in the military.  He is being sent home early to allow him the appropriate time to organize his life prior to retiring.  The Chaplain requested to stay the duration of the deployment, asking for merely a 90 day extension to his retirement date and the Army said no.  He asked for a re-board to buy some more time with Soldiers and again was refused.  He gave a short, tear filled speech when we presented his deployment awards to him and bid him adieu. 
I have met many worthless Captains and Majors in the military.  It is truly a sad day when they are promoted over worthy professionals such as this Chaplain.  In his place, we are being sent the other Chaplain who has been sitting with the Rear-Detachment in Fort Benning for many good reasons.  He does not portray the morals of a Holy man.  I will leave it at that because I do not like to speak ill of people who cannot defend themselves. 

2 comments:

  1. We are unfortunately running into this as well. The fellow that was selected is just heartbroken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the nicest things to happen to me when I retired was to have one of my clients come to my party and tell me how much I meant to her when I had been doing home visits w her. It meant the world to me. More so than the Director of the Health Department comeing to my retirement party and saying too many words!

    ReplyDelete