Friday, February 22, 2013

Biometrics

As I was walking home from work last night I passed a full bird Colonel, a Captain, and a Command Sergeant Major on the Boardwalk.  The Boardwalk is like a strip mall.  It is also a safe zone for Soldiers, meaning Soldiers do not have to wear their headgear nor do they have to salute officers.  As I passed this group, I noticed the COL was looking in a window, the Captain was staring at the ground, and the CSM was staring at me.  The CSM asked how I was and I said "Good, thanks" and kept walking.  He turns around and calls my name when I was about six paces past the group.  I turn around thinking, "Maybe this guy knows me.  It wouldn't be the first time that has happened here on the Boardwalk."  I respond with, "Yes, CSM" and walk back towards the group.  He begins to lecture me on how he knows this is a safe zone, but that I just walked past a full bird colonel and didn't acknowledge his presence.  I said, "Ok" turned and walked away.  I wanted to argue, but all I could do was smile while imagining him stopping every Joe on that Boardwalk who wouldn't acknowledge his presence...especially while the COL was looking the opposite direction.  I have to wonder sometimes about where these people think they are located that they feel the importance of stopping a Soldier to tell them he or she needs to say hello to his or her commander.  I told the story to my office today and they all laughed right alongside me.

We finally received our half door for the office.  Hopefully this will minimize the flow of traffic, the amount of noise, and the need to hang out in my office.  The guy in charge of the locals installing the door is from Cincinnati, Ohio.  Needless to say I enjoyed a morning of reminiscing about Cincinnati with a guy who grew up in Anderson Township.

I was in charge of our Senior Leader Professional Development today.  I had an NCO from Task Force Biometrics lined up to teach a class on what biometrics is and what role it plays here in Afghanistan.  I had been coordinating with him for an entire month, exchanging emails, asking what support he needed, and lining up a venue that would suit his needs.  Five minutes prior to the start, this guy is no where in sight.  I was very nervous and called his office.  He was still there!  I quickly sent a driver to go pick him up.  I was not a happy camper.  I took a lot of time and effort to coordinate this event.  When he arrived, his excuse was that he didn't have a vehicle.  That excuse doesn't fly around here.  The distance between where he works and this venue is closer than the distance between where I live and where I work.  He didn't have to bring any equipment because I had it all and he could have just walked like the rest of us.  Did he also not have a phone to call and explain he would be tardy?  Anyway, he gave a fantastic class and I presented him with a coin afterwards.  All in all, a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment