Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Fireproof

Last night, the new CPT and I decided to join the religious festivities which included a movie at the Chaplain Ministry Center.  We were told snacks would be provided, so some of us ate dinner at the dining facility prior to heading over to the movie.  I met the new CPT on the road leading toward the Chaplain Ministry Center because he didn’t know where he was going and we walked over together.  The moment we walked into the room we both started coughing as there was a strong spice lingering in the air.  My other roommate was cooking hamburgers with cayenne pepper which was successfully turning the room into a CS gas chamber.  She had a nice spread though that caused some of us to regret eating at the dining facility.  Even though I was not hungry, I filled my plate with delicious pineapple slices.

 “Fireproof” was the title of the movie.  I had never seen this movie, but have heard great reviews from fellow Soldiers.  The acting was terrible, but the message was great.  I learned that all the actors and actresses in this movie were volunteers (this explains the bad acting, but says a lot about the movie).  The director of the movie was a pastor, hence the immense infusion of religion into the movie.  Once you were into the movie, the bad acting was easy to ignore.  If you aren’t freaked out by religion, I would highly recommend this movie. 
Work today has been the ordinary sit-around and do-nothing, so when the Personnel OIC invited me to lunch a bit earlier than usual, I agreed to join him.  I invited the new CPT to join us and he obliged.  The dining facility was a bit more crowded than usual.  I thought perhaps there was something good on the menu for once, but upon further observation the main meal option was a bad choice.  I settled for beef stroganoff on top of some elbow macaroni though because I did not feel like waiting in a long line for something fried.  I found my lunch buddies and sat down to enjoy the meal with them.  They had not been impressed with the menu either apparently because one had chicken fingers and French fries while the other had two slices of bread, a few slices of turkey, and a chunk of cheese on his plate.  It turns out my choice was not so great either because I found a pickle spear in my beef stroganoff.  The dining facility was becoming increasingly crowded the longer we sat there and soon we noticed that people were sitting next to each other and not leaving the obligatory empty seat between groups. 
My group was engrossed in people watching and idle conversation when we heard a loud boom.  It sounded like someone popped a large balloon right next to my ear.  I did a self assessment and realized I was not injured, so I continued with my meal.  All of a sudden people started throwing themselves to the floor.  “Oh, I guess we better get down,” I thought as I started moving slowly towards the floor.  Then it hit me, “Oh shit, what if the shooter is after more people?  I am screwed, the victim is only about 15 feet from where I am and I am somewhat in the open.”  It was true.  I could see the victim.  I was sitting on the end of the table in plain view about 15 feet from the victim.  I was located at the crossroads of walkways in the building.  I started to crawl under the table and heard a few Marines behind me lock and load a round into the chambers of their pistols.  Two snuck past me in a low crouch with their weapons drawn.  Someone cried out for a medic.  The new CPT is a nurse, so he hurried over to check out the situation.  A man in uniform with a CID (Criminal Investigation Division) patch on his shoulder took control of the situation telling people to stay down and block off the doors.  He called for any MP’s (Military Police) within the dining facility to block the doors.  They did not have the weapon nor did they have the shooter.    
The new CPT returned to our position to let us know what was happening.  A civilian contractor had been shot in the foot.  He said the bullet hit the floor and bounced up into the guy’s foot.  There was a hole in the bottom of the guy’s foot and what looked like a scratch on top of his foot.  A tourniquet was applied above the ankle and the foot was wrapped in Israeli bandages, the Army’s latest in bandaging technology.  The CPT also mentioned that the puddle of blood on the floor was impressive and grew a little faster than he thought it would.
The theory is that it was a negligent discharge.  This means the shooter did not mean to fire his weapon.  Somehow his weapon loaded a round into the chamber, was placed on fire, and the trigger activated without the knowledge of the owner of the weapon.  This happens a lot more often than you would think.  We have procedures to clear weapons and while on post there should be no rounds in the chamber.  It is a safety precaution in place for this exact reason.
Once the shot was fired, people scattered, left the building, or hit the floor.  One of our Soldiers left the dining facility as soon as she heard the shot.  She ran all the way back to work where she started to freak out so bad we called the Chaplain to come talk to her.  Since she was able to escape un-noticed, it is possible the shooter left the building as soon as he realized his blunder.  There was a delay between the shot and blocking off the exits.  Civilian paramedics arrived and took the packaged patient to the hospital.  Once the victim was clear of the building, CID began filtering people out of the dining facility.  They were checking everyone’s long barrels (M16/M4’s) because the shot fired came from an assault rifle.  If you had a pistol, you were free to leave. 
As my group left the dining facility we started joking around about the incident, but you could tell that we were all shaken up by it.  We joked about heading over to the Combat Operational Stress Control unit just to procrastinate from returning to work.  Puppies and ice cream was my requirement for returning to work, the others wanted movies and sleep. 
I walked into the office to find our NCOIC dressed as a superhero.  He had an afghan as a cape, he had cut holes in a black sleep mask, he cut the bottom out of a large plastic protein powder jug and cut a face hole out as well, and to top off his costume, he had a catcher’s mask tied around his waist as a crotch protector.  I took a picture, but it may be a while until I can transfer the data to my FB.
I am alive and well, there is no need to worry about me =)

No comments:

Post a Comment