Monday, February 18, 2013

Lent

Yesterday afternoon was a nice relaxing day here in Afghanistan.  Well, at least it was for me.  I watched the movie “Argo” about the Iran Hostage Crisis.  That is a really good movie and I am amazed at how it all worked out. 

Two of my roommates are gone this week leaving me alone with the new roommate, Ms. Inconsiderate.  This could become interesting and I may need additional prayers for patience. 
My Lenten resolution feels like it is going to be the death of me.  I essentially gave up snacking.  I am sticking to three meals a day, no extras, no dessert, etc.; just what they put on the plate.  I am a person that apparently likes to snack.  Previously, I would skip breakfast and instead snack on cookies, granola bars, or candy.  I would go to lunch at noon and around 3pm I would begin snacking on popcorn, candy, cookies, and anything else I could find in the MWR room.  Dinner was not on my schedule.  After work, I would hit the gym, shower, and go to bed.
For my Lenten schedule, I pick up a to-go box of eggs, biscuits and gravy, French toast, bacon, and fruit from the dining facility at 530am.  I am absolutely starving by the time 10am comes around.  I go to lunch at noon and am starving again by 3pm.  Dinner is still not on my schedule, but that is just pure laziness on my part.  It is almost 2pm here and I am so incredibly hungry.  Lunch consisted of half a Cornish hen and a large scoop of rice pilaf.  I was full when I left the dining facility.  I want something sweet and filling, but instead I just drink water, plain, old, boring water.
Speaking of lunch, I ate with Slovakians today.  I originally sat alone on the far end of a table facing the television.  I couldn’t hear the television, but it was something to look at when people watching became boring.  All of a sudden, a Slovakian squeezed behind me to sit two seats down.  Then his friend came and sat on the other side of him.  Then another arrived and sat across from him, and another, and another, and another, until I was completely surrounded by Slovakians.  I was rubbing elbows and toes with Slovakians, but I couldn’t understand a word they were saying.  One of them was a female.  Well, she appeared to be female.  When she spoke, I had to do a double take because her voice was so deep and manly sounding.  I quickly finished my meal and boot-scooted out of there.
I was told my cell phone is now the TOC phone, so I had to reset the phone and kiss all those minutes I accidently loaded to the government SIM card instead of my personal SIM card goodbye.  So, FYI, I no longer have a cell phone over here.  I could go buy one, but it isn’t worth it for the price.  A cheaply made Fischer Price looking phone is $130 over here.  I have 113 days left…you do the math.

No comments:

Post a Comment