Sunday, February 17, 2013

Last of the Tide Pods

I did my own laundry last night.  I know I said I was going to start turning them in for other people to wash, but who has time for that?  It is quite the hike from where I live and it is a 24 hour turn around.  I like the instant gratification of clean clothes that smell fantastic. 

I arrived to the laundry facility with a Tide Pod in one hand, a bottle of laundry detergent in the other, and my arms full with a large bag of dirty laundry.  I was hoping to find more than one washer available and I only had one Tide Pod left, hence the bottle of detergent.  Unfortunately, only one washer was empty of clothing.  I opened the door and threw my Tide Pod into the drum.  I thought it was awkward when I heard a splash.  I took another glance and saw the drum was half full of dirty water.  Ugh, I debated in my head whether or not to reach in and rescue my Tide Pod.  It was my last one.  As I reached into the gross water, I hoped it had not busted open already.  I threw it into my dirty laundry bag and rinsed my hand in the utility sink. 
I noticed the knob on the washer was turned to off and this was the only washer available.  I decided to close the door to the washer, turn the setting to spin only, and observe what happened next.  Surprisingly, the washer emptied and ten minutes later I was again throwing my Tide Pod into the drum, only this time it was empty.  I crossed my fingers and prayed for good fortune as I filled the machine with my dirty laundry, set the washer to normal, and went back to my room.
Twenty minutes later I returned to find my clothing still successfully turning circles in the machine.  The Personnel NCOIC was folding her clothing at one of the dryers.  I gave her a look and she nodded.  This cryptic yet silent message said so much.  This was the silent conversation:
Her:  “Hey, what’s up Ma’am?”
Me:  “Not much, how’s your night going?”
Her:  “Not too bad, I fought the crowd and got my clothes clean.”
Me:  “I see that, are you done with that dryer cuz I don’t want to fight anyone for a dryer; you know I’ll end up hanging my clothes in the room.”
Her:  “Yea, I’ll take my time over here until you are done so you can use this dryer.”
Me:  “Thanks, I appreciate you!”
Ten minutes later, I took my clean clothes out of the washer and shoved them into the dryer on which she was folding her dry clothes.  Ironically, she finished folding her clothes at the same time my machine unlocked the door.  As I was watching my clothing take its final spin, I looked over at the other washer windows and noticed one of the washers was completely full of soap bubbles.  Oh the poor soul who has to return to that mess! 
While waiting for my clothes to dry, I tend to stand right in front of the dryer I am utilizing.  The dryers do not lock while they are drying clothes and other people’s children often open dryers at random to see if they are empty or if the clothing contained within is dry enough to justify that person removing someone else’s clothing from the dryer.  This act causes socks and underwear to go flying straight to the usually muddy floor, clothing to get lost, or still damp clothing to lay defenseless on top of the dryer you thought you were using.
A very tall man walked into the facility and walked straight to the bubbly washer.  You could tell he was thoroughly confused but had the sense to move his soapy clothes to another washer.  I tried to comfort him by telling him that it happens to everyone, to which he asked, “Why did this happen?”  He had a thick accent, but he was not speaking to the point at which I could recognize it.  Another female explained to him that these washers take about half as much soap as normal washers.  I walked over to this lost individual and tried to help him out as best I could.  I turned the soap filled washer to rinse and spin and hit the start button.  Nothing happened.  Apparently the washer had become so full of bubbles it caused the breaker to flip.  He suggested we call the repair number on the wall.  I said, “That’s probably a good idea.”  He handed me his phone and I saw that it was dialing the number.  “Oh, I guess I am calling,” I thought to myself.  The guy on the other end of the phone asked for the building number which is located above the door on the outside of the building.  I wondered how this guy would react if I just walked outside with his phone and didn’t come back.  I stepped outside, recited the building number to the guy on the phone, and walked back inside.  I don’t think this gentleman even noticed I had stepped outside.  Oh well.  I had done what I could and now my clothes were dry.  It was time to fold my clothes and head to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment