Thursday, December 6, 2012

XO 2.0

Day shift today was a little busy, but that is the only way to live!  Between writing orders, compiling a commander’s situation report, being social while seeking information for the aforementioned items, and writing my end of day report, there is little time for much else but smiles.  The old saying that time flies when you are having fun really holds true.  I keep busy during the day and when I get back to my room, all I want to do is knock out!  Between work and sleep, the time is flying by so quickly!
I have a really good battle rhythm right now.  I get to work, make a cup of coffee, make a cup of macaroni and cheese, make  a cup of coffee while I surf the net, make a third cup of coffee for when work actually starts, hahaha!  It is a nice way to start the day, beginning slowly and steadily increasing into a busy day so that once the coffee is consumed and the caffeine has activated the chaos commences.  My happy surprise for this morning was that my noodles were in the shape of “Madagascar” movie characters!
My ongoing battle to wear down the XO and turn him into a socially functional person has intensified since I began working the day shift.  The previous day shift continues to feed me and my NCO horror stories at shift change about what is going to occur each day.  Yesterday, they warned that the XO would step into the office every so often to make a fool of himself, demanding paperwork that wasn’t due to him for another day.  Funny how the XO never stepped in this office yesterday, but suffered through some lunchtime conversation when I found him sitting by himself at the dining facility and decided to join him.  I asked him those annoying questions that require more than one word answers, and my lunchtime buddy chimed in and did the same.  As soon as he was finished eating, the XO left us to pat each other on the back as we are both determined to contribute to his transformation from evil robot to human being.
The baking of fresh bread continues daily and serves as a morale boost.  It is incredible what the sense of smell can do for your mood.  I was rushing to get to the Clinical Operations office when the smell of fresh bread hit me and I had to stop and take a deep breath.  Unknowingly, that deep breath and the fantastic smell relaxed me.  I wasn’t in such a rush and I actually had a smile on my face when I asked the COL in charge of Clinical Operations the questions in which I needed answered.  I can compare it to the saying, “In life you have to stop and smell the roses,” but I don’t think it quite does the smell justice.  Perhaps, “In life you have to stop and smell heaven” would better suit the situation.  What saying would you suggest?

No comments:

Post a Comment