Sunday, December 23, 2012

Fun and Dancing

Today has been a fun day.  I work with a bunch of jokers, therefore when working in this office, everything must be safeguarded.  We have all developed a sixth sense that can detect when someone has left their station vulnerable. 
For example, our Movement NCO not only left his ID card in his computer when he left the office, but also left his ministry website up on his monitor.  My boss’s desk is located directly behind the Movement NCO’s desk.  When he saw this, he could not resist the temptation of a good prank.  Our Movement NCO is ordained as a minister, has his own ministry, and has created a website to advertise and assist his ministry.  On his website is a picture of himself in a thinking pose, smiling, and wearing a white button down top.
My boss took a print screen shot of his desktop and emailed it to himself from the Movement NCO’s computer.  He then cropped out the picture, sent it to everyone in the office, and we all saved it as our desktop background.  When the Movement NCO re-entered the room, I greeted him and he instantly suspected something was wrong.  I started fidgeting with items surrounding my computer since I am in the front row and the easiest computer screen to see from his desk.  It took him a while, but he finally noticed his picture on my screen and asked, “CPT Staun, why is my picture on your computer?”  I responded with, “I’m not the only one.”  This caused him to look around and see that his picture was on every single computer screen in the office.  He started laughing so hard and asking how we got the photograph.  This is an odd question because not only is it on his website, but he left it up on his desktop for all to see!  Nothing like a little good clean fun!
When shift change came around, my roommate and my new friend arrived to pick me up for the Holiday Party hosted by the MWR.  It was advertised to have food, dancing, and fun.  My new friend said I needed to go have fun because I worked too much, so I agreed to go as long as they picked me up from work.  We walked over to the Liberty House together and were greeted by Santa Claus passing out raffle numbers.  We got in line for food first because we were all starving.  They were serving melon slices, carrot and celery sticks, cookies, sandwiches cut into small triangles, chicken wings, spring rolls, cake, soda pop, and French fries.  The music was loud and the crowd was small.  My new friend brought along a Santa hat but didn’t want to wear it, so I put it on and went into party mode. 
After we ate, it was time to dance!  It was fun to let loose for a bit, but then the crowd gradually became thicker.  It soon looked like an awkward high school dance with everyone on the edges in a nice circle and no one daring to dance.  They played a few songs like “The Cupid Shuffle” that had well known dances to motivate people to dance.  It worked, but as it increasingly became crowded, I correspondingly became more uncomfortable.  I think the same was happening for my new friend as she stopped dancing as well.  My roommate was having a blast and you could easily tell that she was enjoying herself.  She seemed at home dancing on the crowded dance floor.  As the level of fun decreased for me, I began to observe others in attendance.  There were men obviously in their 50’s trying to fit into this crowd of 20-35 year olds.  Gross was my first thought until I smelled something equally disgusting.  I turned around to locate the source of this smell and found a short rotund woman directly behind me.  As time went by and the music continued, I noticed she was dancing rather close to me even though there was a bunch of space behind her.  I tried to move left but there was an older gentleman there wearing his cap backwards, bouncing slightly to the music, and starring into the crowd of dancers.  I tried to move forward, but there was a young female Soldier in front of me.  I tried to move to the right, but my new friend was there.  With nowhere to go, I looked at my new friend and she asked if I was ready to leave.  It was like she could read my mind.  We told my roommate we were leaving and she told us she would be staying but reassured us she would be safe and would not walk back alone. 

As my new friend and I were walking back, she told me the short rotund woman had grabbed her bum!!  I was not the only on harassed and assaulted by this foul smelling woman!  We decided that we would find another outlet for fun the next time she thought I was working too much.  We got a good giggle out of this and continued our walk home.
My New Desktop

No comments:

Post a Comment