Monday, December 3, 2012

Good Morning!

It is starting to get cold here.  So cold in fact that I have begun to speed walk to work.  It gets me to work and gets me warm, but it also gets me to work a little too early.  I walk into the office anxious to get my jacket off because I am, for once, too warm and I receive questioning stares as to why I am at work so early.  Granted, it is only ten minutes early, but to the other shift workers, to arrive a minute early is insanity. 
I drop my backpack, take off my fleece jacket, and commence preparing coffee grounds to make a cup of coffee.  We exchange information about the events of the night and I ask questions about what is supposed to happen during the day.  Ten minutes later, I have a cup of coffee and we are done talking to each other.  I urge them to leave and get some sleep, but the NCO resists as he is on Facebook chatting with his wife, or so I assume it is his wife, until my NCO shows up perfectly on time.  Then, another shift change brief occurs as if the shift change brief we just had was not good enough or he doesn’t trust me to inform my NCO that nothing happened last night.  No worries for me however, because it isn’t my sleep that is affected. 
Throughout the day, I take opportunities to leave the office.  I feel lazy when I am not physically working on something and I get cold just sitting here.  When it comes to tasking personnel or asking for clarification, I feel that a more personal touch is the route to take rather than just sending an email, especially when the recipient works right around the corner from my office.  While I am walking around the building, I smile and stop to chat with everyone I see.  I am not accustomed to seeing people in all these offices.  During the night shift all the doors are shut and half the lights are off to conserve energy.  It is nice having random conversations, seeing the Soldiers, and smelling baking bread. 

No comments:

Post a Comment