Saturday, December 15, 2012

Bejeweled

I learned at work today, that when you send out a template, no one actually looks at it.  I am presenting an out-brief to the XO on the results of the inspections conducted on our subordinate units.  I put together a power point presentation that represented each section that completed an inspection.  Then I put together a template with colorful arrows and boxes attached with explanations of exactly what I needed inputted in the box to which the arrow was pointing.  As each section returned their appropriate slides, I noticed that none were filled out according to my easy to follow template.  I know I shouldn’t be shocked, but how hard is it to double-click on an additional power point presentation to learn how to properly complete an assignment to prevent multiple submissions and wasted time?  And that is exactly what happened, I kept sending the slides back explaining that it was not what I needed, to please open the template provided and submit the correct slides.  And yes, I did finally give in and just fix them all myself, but how do I change this behavior so that next time I get what I need the first time?
I had lunch with the COL today.  He gathered all of his company grade officers in the dining facilities VIP room to socialize, eat, and discuss issues we may be facing in our current position and in our future planning.  It was a nice change to use a real ceramic plate, actual silver wear, and glasses.  Normally we have paper plates, plastic wear, and a cardboard box containing juice, milk, or a plastic bottle of water.  We were welcomed with a buffet line.  Each dish was served in shiny silver globes with lids that slid up and down to keep the food inside warm.  We had baked chicken, rice, beef stew, greens, mashed potatoes, tomato and cucumber salad, and broccoli cheese soup.  Large wine glasses were available for use on the table and the amount of silver wear per person was humorous.  There was barely enough room for the bread plate.   I have to give credit to the person in charge of this room.  They did well with what they had even though the wine glasses were different sizes and the spoons looked like they should be used for serving.
When the COL felt he was full and that we had enough time to socialize, he placed a chair between the two round tables full of officers.  He placed his green notebook on his lap and took a look around.  He started by telling us that we were the future of the Army and that he was on his way out.  His speech went on for a while telling us the importance of checking blocks and having a plan.  He made a comment that I feel was directed towards me in that location was not as important as the job you hold.  I started to zone out at that point and I learned a lesson about myself.
You know those computer games that display a board full of jewels and you switch the jewels around to make matches of three, then they disappear and you get points?  I am addicted to these.  I spend hours on my iPad playing these silly games.  I have three different app versions of this game.  When I run out of lives on one app, I click to another until all three app’s are out of lives.  Addicted, I know I have a problem.  I have admitted it on several occasions.  However, today my problem grew out of hand.
I learned that when I get bored and I am staring at someone, I start playing that game in my head.  I can visualize the gems over the persons face.  I switch gems, they disappear, and more fall into place.  While this gives the appearance that I am paying attention, I am shocked that my brain can do this.  I find it both awesome and troubling.  It happened again later today when I was talking with an LT, and again when I was bored by an over talkative NCO. 

Can you see the jewels switching and disappearing?

No comments:

Post a Comment