Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Homesick

I am homesick today.  I feel lonely and out of place.  It is all due to recent events.  Let’s start from the top. 
My NCO decided to make his own hours and is now working with someone else.  That means I sit here alone until he arrives.  When he arrives, he goes into another office and I am again alone to deal with the day until my boss walks in the door.  Then the office is silent while he either works or whispers to his NCO passing jokes back and forth in a manner in which I am excluded because they are whispering. 
For lunch today, I went to grab my lunch buddy as usual to find he had already left for lunch.  I searched the halls and no one was there or ready to eat, so I went alone, I ate alone, and I walked back alone. 
When I got back to the office, the XO was there telling a joke to everyone present.  He turns to see I have walked through the door and says, “I’ll finish telling you guys some other time.”  Then there was silence. 
I realize as I sit here that the office happens around me and I am not actually a part of it.  My happiness comes when I leave this office and everyone smiles and says hello to me. 
This is not meant to be a “Whoa is me” blog.  This is how I feel today and I felt it best to blog than not to blog.

2 comments:

  1. that sucks. that would make me feel homesick too. i think one of the reasons i enjoy running races is because i have an excuse to wave at everyone.

    Maybe they are telling sexist jokes and that's why he wouldn't finish. You should let a mouse loose...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feeling homesick sucks! I totally understand! I haven't had much of it here, but definitely did when I was in Mexico. Also, I know how much it sucks to be feeling left out, especially on a regular basis. When it comes I that I have learned two things:
    1) it generally starts to feel les so after some time.
    2)A sure fire way to make it go away quicker is to insert yourself into the situation. It's hard to do when you're first feeling left out, but I'll usually spend tht day thinking of ways to make myself included and make myself wanted.
    Ps We should FaceTime sometime!!!

    ReplyDelete