Saturday, December 1, 2012

The New Team Player

Day shift is not as bad as the previous day shifters made it out to be.  They made it seem as if the world was going to end.  When we conducted the shift change brief, they talked about all the products they were working on, all the people coming in and distracting them or asking questions, all the phone calls they had to answer, and all the meetings they had to attend.  Thus far, I have put on one meeting and made one Power Point slide.  Yes, people come in and ask us questions, but I do not mind adding a bit of customer service to my job.  I think this is where we differ.  The other crew does not like the customer service aspect of the job.  It is like I have previously stated, people in other sections started working more into the night because they knew my NCO and I would assist them appropriately.  My NCO and I share the belief that if you take a moment to assist someone, it actually saves time.  They will not become a repeat customer for the same issue and they will actually complete the task correctly the first time.
The LT of the other Battle Captain/NCO crew has made a dramatic change of character since switching to the night shift.  He is the type of person who likes to stay busy, but with only one task and with no interruptions.  He has become a team player.  He came up with several courses of action for when our third LT arrives to create three eight hour shifts.  The main argument he is trying to win is that this LT has a specified job in which he was pulled into theater for, but if we can make him a third Battle Captain and continue to share the job he is supposed to have, life would be simpler for all involved in the shop.  He has also offered to take over some of the product generation that was reserved for the day shift. 
I find it interesting that all we had to do for him to change was put him in a room by himself with nothing to do for twelve hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment