Saturday, December 29, 2012

To The Batmobile!

I am beginning to believe that my two roommates’ sole purpose on this deployment is to serve as my alarm clock.  While my other roommate and I were still sleeping this morning, my roommate came back from her journey.  The moment she stepped into the room her phone started ringing.  I thought maybe she would answer it in the hallway for once out of politeness to those of us who were peacefully sleeping.  I was wrong.  As she yelled into the phone, I turned my alarm off and started to get ready for the day.  When I got back from the bathroom, the room was dark and she was asleep in bed.  “Just my luck,” I thought as I walked into the open door of my wall locker.  Oh well, I needed to be at work early today anyway.  I had a meeting to host and I have yet to walk the new LT through its setup because this is the first one he has witnessed. 
As I got to work, I saw chaos ensuing.  The normal tech guy was taking a day off because he is scheduled to work on Sunday.  He is the only one with the password to set up our meeting with the correct slides.  The new LT was confused and thought the meeting was in the conference room instead of on our computers with headphones and microphones.  To top it all off, when I logged into the meeting site, the slide presentation on display was from two weeks ago.  Luckily my boss was distracted by visitors he felt needed entertaining, so as I put out fires, organized the troops, and printed out slides, I was free of his added stress.  Once he realized he had a meeting to attend, everything was in place and ready.  Success. 
As lunchtime approached my co-workers started giving me a hard time about not eating in the dining facility.  I have several reasons for not eating in the dining facility, but simply put, it is less of a hassle to eat noodles in the office, besides it is cold outside!  Giving in to their demands, I went to recruit someone to go eat with me.  My new friend was going to a VIP lunch, so she was not available.  I asked several other officers, but they had already eaten lunch and had just returned from the dining facility.  My final option was a guy who I once thought was my lunch buddy, but was sadly mistaken as he now always gives me an excuse not to go and then goes with someone else.  His excuse this time was that he had too much work to do.  That was my last straw.  “Everyone wants to pick on me about not eating in the dining facility, but no one wants to eat with me,” I exclaimed.  To that he said, “Fine, I’ll go eat with you.” 
Lunch was actually pretty good.  They were serving roast turkey, garlic mashed potatoes, and broccoli.  It was disturbingly crowded, but at least the food was good. 
This afternoon has been nice and quiet.  My only disturbance was when higher called asking for information and trying to tell me what was happening with some of our personnel.  I corrected him on his information and then did his job for him.  If he had any common sense he would have done it himself, but I was happy to have the opportunity to embarrass him. 
I have actually started to like when my phone rings these days because I changed my ringtone to say, “To the Batmobile!”  It motivates me and I am in the loop now so I can actually answer correctly and confidently when people call asking questions or registering their complaints.   Speaking of ringtones, we changed our Movement NCO’s ringtone to say, “Hey Everyone!  Come and see how good I look!”  It is a quote from the movie “The Anchorman”.  It is hilarious because it fits the picture we all have of him on our monitors and we did it when he wasn’t here.  He was so shocked the first time he heard it and acted like he was upset about it, but he hasn’t switched it back yet.  We like that he has kept it thus far because it gives us all a good chuckle when his phone rings and he is sitting right there.  It is especially funny when we have visitors and our NCOIC calls his phone from across the office just to get people to notice and we all get a good laugh to include the Movement NCO.

No comments:

Post a Comment