Thursday, November 15, 2012

The Little Things

Isn’t it amazing how the little things in life can perk you up even when everything around you seems to want to drag you down?  My day has been full of finding the small things. 
I got off work at seven, as usual, and went to the gym to see what kind of a workout I could get in prior to hibernating until my next shift.  The treadmill and I still have yet to figure out how to get along, so after twenty minutes of fighting, I ended the program I was using.  I intended to leave, but I was too frustrated to just walk away.  I sped it up as fast as I could go and sprinted for ten minutes until the anger was gone and I was sufficiently tired.  Still frustrated and feeling defeated be a treadmill, I left.  Entering the gym as I walked out was a man with one leg and one prosthetic.  The anger dissipated as I became grateful I had two legs and didn’t have to go through the pain he went through both physically and mentally to get to where he was today, in Afghanistan going to the gym with one leg.  When I was sitting in my room, listening to music, I started to smile as I realized what a good workout I ended up with and was then motivated to get in a good abdominal workout as well. 
The showers were disgusting today, as they usually are when I use them in the morning after working out.  Prime shower hours are 0700-0800 and the cleaning ladies don’t arrive until 0915.  There was hair all over the place and a drain that wasn’t draining.  I think these ladies have forgotten that their mothers aren’t here to clean up after them.  I like showering in the afternoon because the showers are sparkling after the cleaning ladies hit it. As I am turning up my nose to these shower conditions, the woman whom I assisted with laundry the other day walked in and I couldn’t help but smile and ask how she was doing.  It was then that I became grateful I had an indoor shower facility and that I was the only one needing to use it at the time.
I went back to my room feeling refreshed and ready to block out the world with sleep.  Except that I was no longer tired.  I took my sleep aid and in the meantime watched a movie.  Instead of being frustrated that I could not sleep, I was thankful that I had friends to borrow movies from, the means to watch movies, and roommates who were at work so I didn’t have to use headphones.  As per my usual, I fell asleep during the movie.  Anyone who knows me knows this always happens.  I am not bored with the movie; I just get so relaxed I pass out.  I can never sleep when it is too quiet. 
I woke up just in time to sit for ten minutes and dwell on how much I did not want to go to work today.  I got dressed anyway and performed my TSA pat down prior to leaving to ensure I had everything I needed for the night. 
As I got to work, I was greeted by smiling faces begging for my attention.  I couldn’t help but smile.  One Soldier wanted to tell me about her busy day and another Soldier wanted to let me know she was unable to gain access to a website in which we were both working a monthly project that tends to become a pain in one’s ass…mainly mine.  It is called the Unit Status Report (USR).  I told her to just send me the information she needed to input and I would ensure it was submitted.  I have to smile at these instances because it makes me feel irreplaceable and important.  Ask anyone else in the unit what USR is and you will get a blank stare.  This report is not to be ignored because it goes directly to the big wigs of the Army. 
A fellow LT approached me and told me he had something to show me that will “make my night.”  He is a good guy and highly religious, so my curiosity overwhelms my anxiety to report to work on time.  I follow him to the doorway of his office and he pulls out his iPad.  He and Chief have been working on creating a sitcom similar to “The Office” and he wanted to show me the start of episode one.  How creative!
I get to my office for shift change and am sitting there for a bit when the COL walks in with a box of goodies.  He received a package today from his girlfriend and he is anxious to share.  He hands a bag of cookies to his faithful night time driver (my NCO) complete with a note thanking him for his service and some caramel popcorn for me.  Mmmm, delicious!
I am now happy that I have come to work today.  Amazing how something small as basic awareness or someone wanting to share an idea or a snack with you can turn your day around.
How has someone or something brightened your day today?

1 comment:

  1. Two words: Elf Yourself. It's one of OfficeMax's holiday gimmicks. They have pre-made videos and you can upload pics of friends and family or whoever and then it makes it look like they are dancing elves. Today, a coworker started by putting the engineers in my department in them. We laughed so hard we cried. Then came one with some of the ladies at my company. And then,to completely ice the cake, she put the company partners, the big bosses, into the Elf machine. My stomach muscles are still sore from how hard we laughed!
    I get to laugh a lot at work, mostly at little things. Without them, work would be a real drag. I am thankful for the littlw things - at work and all around me, all the time. =)

    ReplyDelete