Saturday, November 17, 2012

Stepping into the 21st Century

Apparently Evanescence is the music that allows the treadmill and I to get along.  It really is an interesting genre of music although officially classified as rock.  It is calming in sound yet angry in word making it motivational.  I actually managed to get a 3 mile workout in plus a warm up and a cool down without continuously changing the settings or becoming so frustrated with the darn machine that I just wanted to quit. 
You would also be proud to hear that I have decided to take a step in to the 21st century.  You read it correctly, I am going to put my differences with technology away for a bit and see where it takes me.  If you are not familiar with my history with technology, allow me to give you a glimpse.  I blame my mother, as all good children and psychologists do, but this case is not a mental blame but a physical blame.  You see, my mother cannot wear a regular watch.  Well, she can, but after a day, the battery will be dead and the watch will not function.  She relies on hard-to-find watches that one must wind daily.  I think I inherited this gene thus contributing to my curse with technology. 
Not trying to dip too deep into the past, I will start with January of 2010.  I reported to my unit in Fort Benning anxious to learn my role.  Two weeks and eight computers later, I finally found a computer that would turn on, stay on, charge, save, and work for more than a day without spontaneously shutting down.  This is unfortunately no exaggeration.  A more recent example occurred in this very office.  As you are aware from previous blog posts, there is a gross amount of phones in this plywood box.  For the past week, I am the only one that is unable to communicate on these phones.  Our higher headquarters calls and I cannot hear them on the other line, but when I ask my NCO to talk with them, the phone magically works again.  I can’t make this up people.  I can hardly believe it myself.  If you are still not convinced, I have more examples, just ask.
So, what did I do to step into this technological era?  I purchased an iPad.  Hopefully it works.  My hope is that Apple is immune to me seeing as they are the least prone to most viruses and hackers.  I will have to keep you updated, but keep your fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment