Monday, November 26, 2012

An iPad, the Bengals, and a Thong

I am discovering that my iPad is amazing, distracting, and fun to explore.  My plan for today was to workout after my shift and go to sleep right after, but that schedule was quickly adjusted when I arrived at my room.  My roommates were awake and I was anxious to share with them the news of my iPad.  I began to change into my PTs when one of my roommates started asking me about the features on my iPad.  I had some questions for her as well because both my roommates own iPads and are familiar with Apple technology.  I brought my iPad out of hiding and was quickly distracted from my workout.
Most of my questions revolved around the Face Time application and the messaging.  I didn’t think I was selecting the right buttons or entering the right information to call anyone, but suddenly I heard a ringtone as though I was making a call.  After a minute of no one answering, I concluded that I wasn’t doing it right and hit the “END” button.  I decided to cruise the market instead when my dad’s name started flashing on the screen.   “It’s my daddy!”  I exclaimed and hit the button to connect.  My roommates got excited with me and when it finally connected everyone said hello to my family.  Starring into my dad’s iPad was my mom, dad, sister, and her husband.  My parents were going to spend Thanksgiving with my sister and her family in Georgia and check on my house in Alabama after the holiday, but the plans quickly changed upon my grandfathers passing.  The day after the funeral, my parents left Ohio for my house with the intentions of switching the air conditioning to heat and make sure it was still standing.  After a night, they continued on to my sister’s house where they were now starring at my face on Dad’s iPad.
After a great conversation filled with laughs, room tours, and updates, we all decided it was time for them to go to bed and time for me to hit the gym. 
Now, back at work, flipping through TV channels, I stumble upon the Bengals v Raiders game from a few nights ago on the Armed Forces Network.  This is exciting to me on so many levels!  Not just because they are the Bengals, but Dad records and sends Bengals games when he is able.  After checking the scores Saturday night, I informed him that I could not wait to see this game when he sends it.  He responded with, “Me too!  It was blacked out and we were on the road traveling to your house.”  I was disheartened by this news because this was a big game.  The Bengals old quarterback, Carson Palmer, who quit the Bengals to play for the Raiders, was playing in a place he swore he would never play again, Paul Brown Stadium, the home of the Cincinnati Bengals.
Lucky me, I am watching it now!  While it takes some excitement away knowing the Bengals crushed the Raiders, the unusual and unpredictable content of this game adds the excitement that was missing and more.  This game has everything, bad officiating, a huge fight, and a Bengals win!!  Wow, what a game!
According to a public service announcement surrounding this game, the Armed Forces has a special contract with the NFL to air certain football games because we are the only ones able to see this game outside those people freezing in the stands.
WHO-DEY!

1 comment:

  1. Who-dey is so right! Lauren and I found a website to stream nfl games on since we live in Virginia so even if games weren't blacked out we would miss most of them although sometimes we go to a bar with nfl network. Lauren is a packers fan, too so it's nice to watch both games. Point of the story was that we watched that bengals game and it was so exciting!!!
    Ps I have an iPhone, I wonder if we can FaceTime each other....?

    ReplyDelete