Friday, November 9, 2012

Flat Stanley

Every so often, we receive care packages from random organizations.  We love these boxes!  They are so random in content and every box is different!  Surely there is something to excite everyone in the office in such a box!  This box arrived yesterday from an organization called Operation Gratitude.  It contained hair ties, hand sanitizer, energy beverage shots, cold medicine, cough drops, magazines, peanuts, soap, shampoo, conditioner, an emergency bracelet made from 22 feet of 550 Cord, a BDU scarf that blends quite well with our Multi-Cam, and cards from various children.  I am sure I missed a few items that were contained in this box, but you have the general idea.
As I was opening cards and letters from children, I came across one from a school in New Jersey.  It contained a paper boy colored in crayon.  The letter said his name was Flat Stanley and that he was flattened by a bulletin board at school, but it allowed him to travel in the mail.  My first thought was, “That doesn’t seem like a very safe school,” followed by, “Did his parents sue the school?”  I continued to read the letter and learned that the class wanted me to take pictures with this paper doll and send him back with the photos so they can see where his travels took him.  Well, this could be fun.  Although, I don’t have a way to take pictures, or develop pictures, amongst other excuses that came to mind, not to mention, I don’t like my picture to be taken.
I told my NCO about it, to which he grabbed a camera and said, “Well come on, we can’t disappoint the kids!”  My jaw dropped.  I asked if we were taking pictures of him, but he said no because the box was sent to me.  I started throwing excuses his way to which he shot them all down.  Now we are off to find a safe place to take pictures that won’t give away any intelligent information.  Looks like I am going to be the new poster child for Johnstone Elementary along with this Flat Stanley kid.  I wonder if his parents are getting paid for his travels. 
So, here are the pictures that I am about to print and send off to New Jersey.  As usual, I am being my own worst critic and have found new motivation to hit the gym.  The happy thought about this though is that I will never meet these people in person and we executed a good deed!  Oh, and check out the scarf!

2 comments:

  1. Actually you look great! We are our worst critics sometimes. The Flat Stanley is often send to people who are in different Cities.... Maybe he could go into town w someone and get some scenery? Maybe not. I know at one time we had a child in the family that sent Flat Stanley to someone and it was sent from one city to another getting photo's of where he went.
    Like San Fran, Cincinnati, NY. It helps if you put Stanley closer to the camera, and the background farther. he is hard to see in the pics.
    have fun w your New Boy Friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the coolest Captain ever. Those kids will be soooo excited!!

    ReplyDelete