Sunday, January 6, 2013

Pizza Party!

My nickname has followed me to Afghanistan.  My COL now calls me CPT Mom and is instructing others to follow suit.  All I did was supply him with triple antibiotic cream when he bumped his head so hard that it started to bleed.  My bad for protecting his skinned bald head from infection, but I like the nickname and it kind of suits me, I guess.
Today is pizza party day!  I went out and bought four pizzas to feed everyone in my shop.  I miss the low prices of pizza in the States.  Four pizzas, (2 Supreme, 1 Pepperoni, and 1 Cheese) each with a 12” diameter, cost me $60.  Its only saving grace is that it is the best pizza here on Kandahar.  It has a thick flavorful crust, is loaded with toppings, and cooked to perfection. 
Sunday is what we call movie day.  Because it is a low manning day, the building is quiet and we have the least amount of interruptions compared to a regular work day.  We take the opportunity to knock out products and watch movies in the background.  We got a lot of work done yesterday, so today consists of touch up work on products and free time.   We accidently broke our HDMI cable that led from a personal computer to our TV so instead we are all huddled around the computer watching “GI Joe” the new one with Channing Tatum. 
The COL came in while we were buried in pizza and the movie.  He didn’t have any business to attend to, he just wanted to sit and chat for a while about football, family, and life in general.  He said he was procrastinating from writing his speech for the ceremony honoring our Vet Detachment as they give up their responsibilities to another unit and head home.  It is nice to see a side of him that is professional but human, if that makes sense.
Once we were full of pizza and tired of being huddled around a small computer, we took up a collection and sent the new NCO to the PX to buy a new HDMI cable.  Now, we are peacefully working at our stations with a movie on our TV in a location we can all see and hear from all parts of the room.  My work is done for the day and I am just wasting time until my replacement arrives.  That is correct, I am surfing Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment