Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Moving Day

Today has been such a busy day! I am incredibly sore from my abdominal workout to the point that I am lifting my legs with my hands simply to take my socks off.

I arrived to work at my normal ten o'clock time.  The boss was on speaker phone with our higher headquarters in a meeting regarding force manning levels.  I snuck in quietly and sat at my desk ready for a normal day.  The SITREPS were flowing in and I was ready to consolidate and proofread them for the boss.  The meeting ended and my boss left the office for a bit to discuss the meeting with  the COL and the XO.  Arriving back to the office around noon, he announces we are moving.

The office is in shock and immediately complaints in the form of recommendations not to move are voiced.  No such luck, we are moving.  The computer tech sections starts moving our Internet cords through the ceiling from our office to our destination.  My desk was the last to be moved.  Keep in mind that I didn't actually have a desk like everyone else in the shop, so just my phones and computers were moved.  I was set up on a shelf in our new office with about a foot of leg space.  This was to be my new home.  I never lost connectivity because the computer techs know my job is important.  I moved out of their way and let them do what they had to do.  Later, they thanked me for staying out of their way and informed me that because I let them work without interference my "desk" was the only functioning station.

In the middle of this move, the XO graces us with his presence and asks if we have all the SITREPs yet.  He sternly informs me that it better be done.  Cramped in my work station, I commence with putting together the SITREP.  Everyone around me is moving things, setting up their areas, shooting the bull, and not even close to be concerned with work.  Coworkers stop by and ask why I am so angry.  I point out to them that I actually have work to do and that I am the only one without a desk.

The new LT realized that I didn't have a desk when I started kicking the wall in front of me out of frustration.  My plan was to kick my way through the plywood to find some leg room.  Next thing I know, there is a small crappy desk headed my way.  I was happy though and set my area up.  I was proud that I finally had a desk and leg room!  The night crew arrived and the LT started complaining that the Battle Captains were always shafted.  I was so proud of getting a desk that I just said, "Do what you want with our area" and I left.  I was tired from all the stress of moving and trying to work simultaneously.  I am done with this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment