Sunday, January 20, 2013

Lazy Sunday

I slept in today until my back couldn’t take it anymore.  It felt good not to have to be in to work until 1pm.  The new LT threatened me that if I came in to work earlier than one, he would have words with me.  I know, big threat, but his point was made.  I planned on washing clothes, but it felt nice to lie in bed with nothing to do but sleep.  My clothes are still dirty, but I am well rested. 
As I walked to work, I found myself walking behind a young man swinging his hips back and forth like a woman as he walked.  His salute was even more amusing as it was overly energetic.  I never saw his rank, but I would bet my next paycheck he was a brand new butter bar.  His walk got me thinking about the way people walk.  I thought to myself, “He walks like a girl.”  I started to notice the way I was walking.  My physical therapist taught me not to swing my hips so much and to maintain control as I walk.  “I walk like a boy,” I thought.  Which rolled into, “Well, if I walk like a boy and he walks like a girl, then I really can’t say he walks like a girl because I am walking like a boy and I am a girl.”  Then I got distracted by a rock that my boot accidentally kicked. 
I actually stopped by the dining facility prior to continuing on to work.  I was hungry for some lunch, but was pleasantly surprised that they were still serving breakfast.  I soon discovered that on Sundays they have one side of the facility serving breakfast and the other side serving lunch.  I went with the breakfast option, although I probably should have stuck to what I was craving, lunch.  The eggs were watery and texture consistent with cream of wheat.  The bacon wasn’t bacon.  Instead they thinly sliced cooked ham, threw it on a skillet and called it bacon.  I was lucky enough to have my portion of bacon include pieces of bone.  Also on my plate was a breakfast burrito consisting of a layer of egg, bell peppers, and cheese nicely wrapped in a flour tortilla.  Dipped in syrup it was actually the best part of my sad meal.  I grabbed an A&W Root Beer to go and was on my way to work.
Once at work, it looked as though it was going to be a quiet day.  Appearances can be deceiving though.  As soon as the new LT left for the day, a last minute tasking was received from our higher headquarters asking for information about our units within the next few hours.  Looks like it is going to be a busy day full of phone calls and pleading.

No comments:

Post a Comment