Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Good Idea!

I finally got some good sleep!  I was so tired, I passed out only to awaken at seven to my roommate getting up to go shower.  I stayed in bed until eight twenty keeping my eyes closed and ignoring my roommates.  I knew as soon as I acknowledged their presence the lights would come on and I would be ready for work way too early.  I also wanted to soak in as much relaxation as possible because we are starting company level PT tomorrow at six am.  PT is mandated for CPT’s and below, but I am in the process of convincing my other roommate (who is a COL) to attend because it would be a great opportunity to do PT and interact with Soldiers.  My main reason for getting her out there to conduct PT so early is to tire her out and get her to bed earlier than 2am.  Am I wrong for this?  Because all I see is a great idea.
Work today has been quiet.  Perhaps driven by hunger, but I have found a new peace with going to lunch by myself.  It is actually enjoyable and I ran into some friendly faces when I was looking for a seat.  While eating with good company, I looked around and saw the tech section eating lunch together.  This gave me a great idea.  I have decided to throw a pizza party for my office.  I am not sure when, but I think an office lunch will build office cohesion.  We used to throw potluck lunches for any opportunity that arose when we were back at Fort Benning.  Sometimes, we just gathered our section and left for Sam’s BBQ.  It was always a good chance to socialize within the office and get to know each other better by discussing non-work related topics.  I would also like to implement nap time, but I don’t think that idea will go over as well as the pizza party.  I wonder if there is any way to cash in on the naps I used to skip as a child.
Our new LT turns out to be a great addition to the team!  He brings a new level of organization and cleanliness to an office full of slobs.  His first day on the job, he swept and mopped our plywood floors.  I tried my best to keep things clean around here, but in an office full of dirty males, it was a tough job!  I started getting the attitude of, “I’m not your wife, clean up after yourself!” after about a month.  He does not mind cleaning and actually seems to enjoy it.  He has added shelves, removed unnecessary items, brought in a table with plastic bins to organize our snack pile, created charts out of tape on our white board, and added in/outboxes to the side of the boss’s desk.  We now have a new slogan for when you show up to work and your area is clean.  “You have been Smith-ed.”  Thanks to him, not my hoarder of a desk mate, I now have space to place items like my hat.  The war on dust has my full attention at the moment which is also something my desk mate doesn’t seem to notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment