Saturday, April 27, 2013

Victory Day

Tomorrow is Victory Day here in Afghanistan.  What does that mean?  Well…Mujahideen Victory Day is a political holiday observed in parts of Afghanistan, falling on the 28th of April each year.  It commemorates the day when Mujahideen rebel forces overthrew Mohammad Najibullah's Democratic Republic of Afghanistan in 1992.  It is celebrated mostly by former warlords and their followers, such as the Northern Alliance.  Other Afghans are against celebrating the day because it marks the start of civil war, and the fact that the Mujahideen were not only Afghans but included men from over 50 Islamic nations around the Muslim world.

I had a very interesting thought today.  If the Taliban were to become decent, honest people, this country would have one hell of a security force.  Think about it, they fund themselves, organize themselves, train themselves, and execute missions both individually and as a unit.  If they focused inward on improving and securing their country instead of killing everyone who isn’t from their country or doesn’t hold their religious views, this place would be a very successful nation.  I am anxious to hear your thoughts and opinions on this.
Congratulations to Dad on becoming ordained as a Deacon in the Catholic Church today!  I am so proud of him and all the hard work he has put forth to achieve his goal.  I wish I could be there to support him as he has always been there to support me.  When he first learned the date, about a year ago, he told me the only acceptable excuse from me for missing this event would be a deployment.  I’m sorry Dad, but I think you jinxed us with that comment because here I sit in Afghanistan missing your big day.  Love you Pops!

1 comment:

  1. I've often thought that too, that if the Taliban would just take over their owb security force, this would be over. Unfortunalty I think that is what they are trying to do, and it doesn't seem to be very nice.

    WTG to your Dad too!

    ReplyDelete