Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Boston, Afghanistan

First, I would like to say my thoughts and prayers are with the victims, the families of the victims, and the first responders in Boston.  What a terrible tragedy, but we, as a country, will join together as one to support and rebuild all those affected.  This is a trait that I admire in people.  In times of misfortune, no matter the race, sex, origin, religious affiliation, or sexual preference, people unify for the greater good.  

This event occurred as my shift began.  I received a phone call from a coworker at another location.  He told me that there were two explosions in Boston.  I immediately looked at the big map of Afghanistan that is plastered to the wall beside my desk.  In a confused manner, I asked, “Boston?”  I had never heard of a Boston, Afghanistan so I was searching the map looking for where this place was located.  He then informed me that the explosions were positioned at the finish line of the Boston Marathon.  That was when it hit me; he was talking about Boston, Massachusetts.  I turned to my NCO and told him there were two explosions in Boston.  His first reaction was to check the CENTRIX computer which tracks all activity in Afghanistan.  I was inwardly relieved that I was not the only one that thought Boston was in Afghanistan.  I informed him that I was talking about Boston, Massachusetts.  It took him a moment, but then it sank in and he hopped back to the NIPR computer to check CNN.com.  We changed the channel on the TV to the news and there we saw the tragic events unfold over and over again as CNN replayed the explosions.
Tonight we continue to follow the events following the bombings.  24 hours later and already so much has been accomplished in regards to patient care and recovery as well as the investigation.  An NCO and I were discussing what would be banned next as a result of this catastrophe, but we are pretty sure bombs are already banned. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment