Saturday, April 13, 2013

It's Been A While

In a quick turn of events, I have been moved to the night shift.  This is a great opportunity to get away from my boss and return to the wonderful world of blogging.  Not only that, but now I am online and awake when my friends and family in the States are awake.  All around wonderful news, although I will admit when I was first informed I was not happy, but perhaps that is because I had already worked 6 hours prior to being told I was working nights starting that same night.  Also in the world of wonderful news, we finally received the authorization to work eight hour shifts.  These next 60 days should pass relatively quickly. 

A word of advice from the lesson I learned yesterday.  Do not stay awake for 29 hours straight.  While on night shift I think I was hallucinating.  I was so tired, I felt sick to my stomach.  When I finally hit the pillow, I started having the weirdest dreams; for example, I dreamt that everyone on Kandahar Airfield was walking around dressed like chickens, big yellow mascot type chicken suits. 
Tonight is not so bad.  I am well rested and full of coffee.  I think I can survive the next eight hours without hallucinations or falling asleep in my chair.  This experience makes me wonder how I ever stayed awake so long as a child.  I remember having competitions at summer camp to see who could stay awake the longest.  After three days, I started seeing penguins and decided to take a ten hour nap. 

What have we missed while I was unable to write?  Oh, I am moving to Kentucky when I return from deployment.  It is official and I have my Orders in hand!  If anyone wants to move to the Fort Mitchell, AL area, let me know, I have a great house to sell.  Thus far, the house hunting in Kentucky is going extremely well thanks to Dad, the internet, and email.  I am thoroughly excited to be moving closer to home and receiving a new job.  I am going to be working as a Health Care Administrator at the Fort Knox hospital providing administrative services to the Army’s health care facilities, specifically the Ireland Army Community Hospital (IRACH).  I will coordinate care delivered, advise on health care delivery and management, and establish/implement policies/procedures affecting the US Army Health Care System.  Sounds like a great position!

1 comment: