Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Why do we (the collective we) have such irrational fears about things like spiders?

How exciting! Our second question!!!
Dear Ohai Itsme:  I would actually like to challenge this question because fear is not always irrational, especially when it involves spiders.  Irrational fear stems from a mental disorder.  Mental disorders such as phobias are seen in almost every person on this planet.  In fact, I would challenge the word disorder in some cases because it denotes a negative connotation.  Rational fear can stem from multiple sources such as life experiences or a fear of the unknown.  Fear is not uncommon in people and one can stipulate that fear is healthy and can actually keep a person from harm. 
Mental disorders displaying irrational fear are paired with an irrational reaction.  I would like to only point out the extreme cases where, in my opinion, the word disorder is used appropriately.  I once saw a popular television talk show that featured an episode on extreme phobias.  The show wanted to expose their guests to items in which they most feared in order to dispel their irrational fear(s).  There was a woman on this show who had an irrational fear of pickles.  To me and maybe to you as well, it is a delicious pickle; a wonderful side item that couples well with anything from soup to sandwiches.  This woman must have thought a pickle was capable of murder!  She ran from the stage screaming, as though a man with a knife was after her, as a young woman carrying a dill pickle arrived on stage. This is one of those situations where I would agree to call it a mental disorder; when a person is irrationally afraid of an inanimate object. 
A life experience can also trigger anxiety in response to fear.  When we are children, we develop many fears because we do not understand anything!  We fear the stove because we have touched it when it was hot and did not like the pain it induced, the doctor’s office because we do not like the pain of immunizations, or the fear of a certain food because it made you sick that one time.  In time, this fear dissolves because we learn about our surroundings and the reasons why we go to the doctor.  When we are young, these fears develop to keep us from injuring ourselves or becoming sick again.  Personally, I developed a fear of things that sting; bees, wasps, and hornets to be specific, not because the sting hurt, but because I am allergic.  My fear is rational because it helps me survive.
The fear of the unknown is very real and very rational.  In the case of spiders, we know certain spiders have the ability to bite and inject venom that can cause real pain.  For example, if a brown recluse bites you, the venom injected causes your skin and muscle tissue to decay.  If you are bitten by a Black Widow, the poison affects your nervous system and could cause death.  I could continue on with more examples of what certain spiders can do to ruin your life, but the point is there are spiders out there that can cause real harm.  I have not memorized what every spider looks like and the effects of their bite, therefore I have a fear of the unknown that comes with a spider.  If I am bitten by a spider I do not recognize, I don’t know what will happen, so it is best if I just don’t let it near me!
We can say that rational fear is a part of Natural Selection and assists us in survival.  Be proud of your fear, it got you where you are today!
Thank you for your question, and I hope this helps!  Next question please!!!

1 comment:

  1. Well said! I have had a fear of needles which I think is fairly rational-something long and sharp puncturing your skin. I have also been working to overcome it by donating blood and forcing myself to deal wth a needle in my arm for a few minutes. I just keep telling myself that I'm helping someone...I still can't really look at the needle, even after it's already in there. I hand shots better though...

    ReplyDelete